Friday, December 19, 2008

Judy Collins - Liverpool Lullaby

Another song from the same album as "Tom Thumb's Blues," posted a few days ago, and therefore another song I first heard on the same trip. There is also a Jacques Brel song on that album, and I guess the reason the album made the impact on me that it did is because it was the first time I'd heard the kind of music that Jacques Brel exemplified: deceptively sweet music underpinning frequently acidic words. Take this song -- slow, soothing music, wrapped around the story of a small boy whose father beats him. The whole album is pretty much like that, but I guess a lot of people can't get past the flutes and violins.

Just found out today that this song was written by the first human being to ever earn a graduate degree in computer science. Go figure.

No comments: