Sunday, December 7, 2008

Flying Lotus - RadioHead Reckoner Remix



Like all true hip-hop fans, I get tha 411 straight from tha source: the New Yorker magazine, which began pushing hip-hop back in 1927. And if u believe that, have I got a bridge 4 u...

In any event, I do know a little about hip-hop, and my favorites aren't the rappers so much as the slightly insane producers, like Prince Paul. Taking sounds from as wide a range of sources as possible and turning them into an artifact that is more than a random assemblage of samples is an art, and there aren't many people who can do it well. It's easier to just take one old song and start rapping on top of it. (We will mention no diddy-ly names, as Ned Flanders might say.)

There aren't many people who do this kind of innovative work well enough to make you go "Wow." But thanks to the New Yorker I now know of one more. Flying Lotus here takes a recent Radiohead track and works his magic. And I like magic.

No comments: