Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Clifford Brown on Soupy Sales TV Show

Can't remember how I heard about this clip, but it is apparently the only footage of Clifford Brown playing trumpet.

The great trumpeter Lester Bowie said that if Clifford Brown hadn't died young, then he (Bowie) would have stayed in St. Louis and gone to work in the post office...and Miles Davis would have been his supervisor. That's hyperbole, of course, but Lester Bowie was, among other things, a funny guy. He was also a very talented trumpet player, and he idolized Clifford Brown. This clip should give you some idea why.

2 comments:

Undercover Black Man said...

Wow, Estiv! Hell of a find.

And I'd forgotten that Soupy Sales was actually hip.

estiv said...

Wish I could take credit for finding it, but I can't. And now I can't remember where I learned about it, so I can't provide proper attribution. Not quite a tragedy on the order of losing Clifford Brown, but there you go.