Thursday, September 13, 2007

Quote of the Day

We take our heroes where we can find them. My hero today is Jeff Garlin of Curb Your Enthusiasm, who has written, directed, and stars in a new movie, I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With. In promoting the film he spoke to the Associated Press, which quoted him as saying:

"It's like an Albert Brooks or Woody Allen movie, only not as good and I star in it."

My kind of guy. Admittedly, the quote makes the most sense if you can remember when Albert Brooks and Woody Allen were making the funniest American movies being released. That was when--how shall I put it?--today's average pro athlete was not yet a gleam in his or her parents' eyes.

As Larry David's manager on Curb, Garlin always hits the perfect relaxed note of enthusiasm for Larry's ideas, an enthusiasm which from his character may be either perfectly genuine (that's a great idea and I support you!) or utterly fake (my money comes from you and I'll support anything you say!)--you can't tell which. It's a nice take on the kind of personality that I assume Garlin has encountered many times in his business, and all the more effective for being so low-key.

2 comments:

iODyne said...

I love Albert Brooks - his drunk scene in Broadcast News should have earned him an award.
His movie Mother (Debbie Reynolds in the title role) has cheese as a plot device so I hope that brings me in On Topic.
Followed you back from your Lilian Hellman comment at Gunslinger to reward you with this great story.
peace and love - your 2nd Blogversary is looming - congrats.

estiv said...

Thanks, M-S. Love your nom de Web.