Wednesday, March 31, 2010

RIP David Mills



If you don't know who he was, enter his name in Google News.

David was simultaneously down-to-earth and erudite, a rare and wonderful combination. He was also both kind and practical -- another rare combination. I knew him only via his writings, but a few of those were personal e-mails and comments on this blog. At a low point in my life he was a definite bright spot. I was still reading his blog every day.

This is shocking news, and my thoughts are with those who knew him best. Reading some of the tributes to him I came to understand that there were a lot of people like me, who had gotten to know him online and to whom he was always generous. I'm grateful to be one of them. Thinking about him, I remembered this poem. It may not appear to have much to do with a man who was a walking encyclopedia of P-Funk lore, but like I said, David was erudite, not to mention open-minded in a deep and fundamental way. I hope he would have appreciated it.

"On the Death of Richard West"

In vain to me the smiling Mornings shine,
    And reddening Phoebus lifts his golden fire;
The birds in vain their amorous descant join;
    Or cheerful fields resume their green attire;
These ears, alas! for other notes repine,
    A different object do these eyes require;
My lonely anguish melts no heart but mine;
    And in my breast the imperfect joys expire.
Yet Morning smiles the busy race to cheer,
    And new-born pleasure brings to happier men;
The fields to all their wonted tribute bear;
    To warm their little loves the birds complain;
I fruitless mourn to him that cannot hear,
    And weep the more because I weep in vain.

Thomas Gray (1716-1771)

No comments: