Friday, June 26, 2009

Sky Saxon RIP

More posthumous praise. Sky Saxon was the leader of the Seeds, a proto-punk Sixties band. I still remember hearing these songs come out of the AM radio into my ears, into my brain, into my soul. He never struck those chords of the zeitgeist again, but most of it never do it once. Here's "Pushin' Too Hard" and "Can't Seem to Make You Mine." "Pushin' Too Hard" was supposedly written in fifteen minutes while he waited in the car for his girlfriend, who was grocery shopping. One side note: along with the Kingsmen's "Louie Louie," this was some of the earliest electric piano work that many of us ever heard.

1 comment:

estiv said...

Thanks for the comment, lagot. Due to time constraints this isn't the blog it might be, but I do try to keep it worth looking at on a regular basis.