Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Call Me - Aretha Franklin

This song makes more sense if you know the story behind it. Aretha Franklin was on the street in New York City when she overheard a couple, clearly crazy about each other, talking. One of them was about to catch a plane to someplace far away. The opening lines are what they said to each other.
Aretha Franklin needs no introduction by now. This is one of her less-known chart hits from the 1960s, and proof of just how good even that less-known work is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Less known to some folks...but lots of us have it in heavy rotation on our iPods!

For me, it's right up there with "Dr. Feelgood," "Don't Play That Song," and most of her work on the "Sparkle" soundtrack (which was written by Curtis Mayfield).

Check any of 'em out and see if you don't agree!

estiv said...

Thanks. I already know "Dr. Feelgood" and "Don't Play That Song"--I'll check out the Sparkle soundtrack, especially since I'm also a member of the legion of Curtis Mayfield fans as well.

I've reached the age where looking back at my past I sometimes remember something that at the time seemed like no big deal but now makes me think, "Did that actually happen?" When I was nineteen I played organ in a pickup band at a high school talent show for a young woman who sang "Dr. Feelgood." The crowd went nuts. Never saw her again.