Monday, March 28, 2011

A Note on the New York Times Paywall

As of today, the New York Times website will be far more restrictive in how much access it allows for free. Since I sometimes link to the Times, this will have an impact on how much I do so in the future. I also don't know how this will affect existing links; in other words, I don't know if the new rules apply only to new pages, or if any links I've made in the past will be affected. But it's out of my hands, and while I'll feel bad if the Times becomes much less useful (as seems likely), there's little to do but see how this change plays itself out. For the record, I think it's a mistake, and that there must be better ways for them to make money from their online presence. I regret this decision, but it's their decision.

No comments: